As we launch into 2018, I wanted to fill you in with what’s happening on Connected Waters, our campaign to restore wild salmon habitat in the the lower Fraser. The …
TO: THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA AND THE PROVINCE OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
- The Fraser River is home to more salmon runs than any other river in the world, and many of these runs are endangered or at risk.
- Natural waterways and green spaces help make the lower Fraser a vibrant place to live and provide important habitat for wild salmon.
- Outdated flood-control structures in the Fraser valley cut off many important salmon habitats from the river—and from young salmon.
- Allowing young salmon to access their natural habitats will help Fraser salmon runs recover and thrive.
WE CALL ON YOU TO:
- Restore the waterways of the lower Fraser Valley so they can once again provide the rich habitat needed to support abundant wild salmon runs.
- Improve flood control infrastructure for the benefit of aquatic life, surrounding communities, farmers, and other users.
- Ensure that regional flood risk strategies account for wild salmon and other important natural values.